Wild Mushroom Pate
Yield: 8-12 servings
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
This wild mushroom pate is a vegan's dream appetizer. The mixture of mushrooms and ricotta cheese (or cheese alternative) makes it creamy and delicious.
- 1 ½ lbs chopped, mixed wild mushrooms - tough stems removed
- ½ cup toasted/chopped walnuts
- 1 large shallot chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tsps thyme and chives chopped
- 6 oz dried mushrooms soaked in hot water - reserve ¼ cup liquid
- 2-3 tsps zest of one lemon
- 10-12 oz fresh Ricotta cheese (or plant-based cheese)
- 1 Tbsp Marsala
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsps Butter
- Chives or mixed herbs for garnish
- Heat saute pan over medium heat and add olive oil and butter, then add shallots and garlic with pinch of salt and saute for 5-7 minutes until soft.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add mushrooms and thyme stirring constantly to insure your mixture is incorporated for another 5-7 minutes until mushrooms have released juices. Add 1 Tbsp Marsala and ¼ cup mushroom liquid and cook until nearly gone. Put mushrooms on sheet pan and spread to cool for 15 minutes.
- In cuisinart put cooled mushrooms, lemon zest, chives, walnuts and fresh ricotta. Pulse until desired smoothness. Slightly chunky is nice for texture.
- Put in desired serving bowl, cover and refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours, best overnight.
Garnish with chives and serve with crackers or crostini.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.