Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep: 30 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 1 onion - chopped
- 1 fennel bulb - chopped
- 1 large shallot - chopped
- 4 garlic cloves - chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ - ½ tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp fresh or dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups Chardonnay
- 2 (8 oz) bottles clam juice or fish stock
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 (16 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb clams - cleaned
- 1 lb mussels - cleaned and debearded
- 1 lb fresh wild shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 1 lb firm fresh fish - halibut, rock cod or other, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 crab - cracked and cleaned
- 1 tbsp - fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon cut into wedges for garnish
- ½ cup parsley - chopped for garnish
- In a large dutch oven or pot, heat olive oil over medium heat, add onion, fennel, shallot and salt and saute’ for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano and tomato paste, cook for 2 more minutes. Add tomatoes with juices, wine, clam juice/fish stock, and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or so until flavors have blended.
- Add the clams and mussels to the pot, cover and cook until they begin to open - about 5 minutes. Add shrimp, fish pieces and crab. Simmer 5 more minutes until fish and shrimp are cooked. Discard any mussels or clams not open. Add lemon juice and half of the parsley, stir. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges. Serve with crusty warm bread.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.
Pairing Recommendations - CH